Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Into the Internals of an external

Its not easy being an external employee. It sounds fancy, the travel part is definitely exotic and I myself did it for a couple of years (fortunately without too much travel as I worked for only 2 clients from a remote location in MI) but its nearly not as exotic!

Imagine the plight of responding to the calls & wants of a boss who is not your boss because your true boss and his feedback depends on this boss-not-so-boss! Its like the classic two-wives-one-neck situation!

A couple of my friends who were consulting in the bay area decided to talk about how it sucks to be an employee and how great a ball they have as they consult ! I nodded heads throughout the conversation and as I tried to come up with points to support their claims, I realized that the grass is not exactly "pale yellow" on my side of the turf!!

I recall the general agreement at the end of the conversation was that the question - "how much change can you take on a daily basis over a year's span?" really answers your penchant for the ultra-white color work! well, all consultants donot exactly show up in ultra-white colors to work while a lot of my buddies who contract definitely feel the need to do so..but in the end, I guess it comes down to whether you like being in the inside and still like it because as one of those funny quotes says "when you are inside, you are actually outside the outside"!! what an einstein's world!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home